Thursday, June 9, 2011

New Beginnings (posted by Kie)



Welcome everyone to my first entry on Education Generation's blog!

My name is Kie and I will be traveling to Peru this summer to embark on a unique experience: that of volunteering with youth in the Sacred Valley. I will be working with Education Generation and their partner Mosqoy in Peru, both of which are organizations that provide merit-based scholarships to students who want the opportunity to attend post-secondary education but do not have the financial means to do so.

I have outlined a few of my fellowship goals below:

1) Monitor, document and evaluate the progress and development of the Mosqoy students and alumni.

2) Assist in planning a graduation ceremony, student daytrip and community-wide event in Ollantaytambo.

3) Facilitate teambuilding and leadership sessions for the Mosqoy leaders (four alumni who have been handpicked to lead other students based on their skills and achievements).

Another exciting project that I will get to be a part of is creating a library in Q’enqo, a weaving community in the Sacred Valley, for which a grade three class in Calgary fundraised over $400. This is a project I am really thrilled about because the kids in Calgary as well as their teachers are so excited that their funds raised will actually make a concrete difference. It’s also a great example of youth helping youth.

Though I’ve been to Peru before, I know that this experience will be like no other and will open my eyes in ways that I can’t even yet imagine. I know there will be times when I will feel amazed and inspired, and other times when I might feel like pulling my hair out. Either way, both types of experiences are necessary to learning. I hope to come out of Peru knowing not only that I have made a tangible difference, but that the projects that I have worked on will be sustainable for local Peruvians to eventually take over the reins.

Life is too short to wait around for something to happen. In order to grow, and live life fully, one has to face challenges and try new things.

Here’s to Peru,

Kie

P.S. I will be updating on here regularly starting the week of June 27th.

Here's a map showing some of the places I'll be:
Cusco (first 3 weeks); Ollantaytambo (most of the subsequent 6 weeks); Q'enqo (1-2 days); various weaving villages not on this map - Parobamba, Bombom and Pitukiska (4 days)








2 comments:

  1. Great Post! I can't wait to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed the blogs of Jevta last year and Zaya the year before. So I am looking forward to finding out all the latest news from Mosqoy. Carolyn (Toronto)

    ReplyDelete