Saturday, May 1, 2010

Welcome once again!


Hi everybody! My name is Jevta and I will be traveling to Peru this summer through the Education Generation Fellowship program.

First of all, I am incredibly excited for this tip – and I hope to use this blog to share my experiences, thoughts, and learning over the course of the next couple months. It will be a completely new, meaningful, and challenging ride, and I hope that through this blog you can join in on it!

I will be leaving for Peru tomorrow and staying there until mid-July. I will be working with the incredible organization called Mosqoy (www.mosqoy.org), one of Education Generation’s first partners. Mosqoy has worked hard to provide education opportunities to Peruvian youth, as well as sustain and preserve local customs and traditions.

Through the fellowship, my role be varied, but I have summarized it in the following goals:

  1. Act as a communication liaison- I will understand, document, and communicate the lives and progress of Mosqoy students.
  2. Student Mentor- I will take part in leadership training, community and team building exercises, organizing community events, and holding English conversational classes.
  3. Promote cultural exchange- I will strive to understand and connect North American and Peruvian cultures and promote cultural exchanges.

While those are the specifics of my role, my main underlying goal is to do my part in helping to better our world! We all have the opportunity to make a change, no matter how small or large it is, and I have decided to dedicate my summer to volunteer work and making an impact on other people’s lives.

In addition, I have set a few personal goals that I hope will guide me through this experience

  1. To open my eyes, feel the fear, and challenge myself- This is a new and definitely scary experience. I hope to feel and breathe Peruvian culture, engage in the communities and with people in them, and strive to always challenge myself
  2. Learn Spanish Fluently- Ambitious….but doable.
  3. Have fun- Life shouldn’t be too serious, and I hope to have a great time learning, meeting new friends, and enjoying the beautiful sights and sounds of Peru.
I hope you guys enjoy the blog in the coming months. I will try to update it as much as I can, but there will be at least 2-3 updates per week.

Jevta

1 comment: